View Single Post
Old 2014-05-02, 17:18   Link #234
supermegasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
Personally, I always join the one who makes an offer sooner (interpreting it as my skills are more needed, thus there is a higher probability that they will be appreciated), as long as the contract offer satisfies my minimum requirements... But remember to formally and politely cancel all other applications, because you might reapply in a few years, and they will probably appreciate this kind of attitude... last time it took me a whole bloody weekend to do that, but however much I am annoyed by HR, I also understand that they have one of the worst job types, and don't want to turn them into bigger jerks than they already are
i'm a bit confused at why it would take you a whole weekend, when you can just email who ever gave you an offer, but I do understand what your trying to say. first come first serve, their fault for the other company for taking so damn long
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
The only thing I would consider is how long you've been looking for a job, and how likely you feel you are to get a chance at a better job in the future.

For instance, if that scenario came up after 9 months being unemployed, I'd take the job immediately.

If however, you've only been looking for a week or two, either don't take the job, or try to play for a bit of time, and use that time to contact company A and accelerate their decision.

Also, even if you do take Company B's job, you can always pull out in the first week or two and take company A's job when it's offered. Company B might be a little pissed off, but what does it matter now that you have a job with A?
ah, that makes sense. i'm only worried though that backing down from company B after they went through all that interview stuff would bite me in the back in the future. you never know when you'll have to see them again, especially in the same industry. but it's definitely something I will consider now as an option