View Single Post
Old 2012-08-18, 19:27   Link #77
Trajan
Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopo View Post
I have no strong feelings towards the whole Marty Stu debate (hence the quotation marks in my previous post). I do think that the more important thing is being able to empathize with the character, which I've had no problem doing so far.
Yeah, the Marty Stu label might be unhelpful. I agree with you as to the importance of being able to empathize with a character, but I really can't do that with Kirito. Every episode (or rather "story") basically hits the reset button on Kirito. It's difficult to feel for Kirito's past pain and hardships when Kirito doesn't act like he experienced those tragedies.

You can take the Kirito from the beginning of Ep 1, Ep 2, Ep 3, Ep 4, Ep 5, and Ep 7 and they are essentially the same character: skilled SAO player but kind of a loner, slightly socially awkward, but willing to help others.

Another lulz-worthy moment from this episode though: apparently falling a few hundred feet into a dragon's nest will almost kill you, but falling thousands of feet off the side of the mountain gets you warmly embraced by a pink-haired cutie and a transition to her forge before you hit the ground and go splat.
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote