View Single Post
Old 2007-09-29, 18:08   Link #55
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

This show had a lot of potential, but somewhere around episode 9 it plunged downhill. The last few episodes were so artificial that I couldn't take the show seriously anymore.

It felt like the producers wanted to make Makoto sleep with all the girls in the show and then meet a gory end. This way the viewers get to see sex, fanservice and blood all at once. Sounds perfect doesn't it? There is just one "little" problem - a complete lack of logic and consistency in the show.

A good drama show (like Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien) achieves the level of drama by putting the characters into really difficult situations and having them make impossible decisions, where there is sometimes no right choice. School Days does exactly the opposite - it presents its characters with regular mundane problems, that I'm sure a lot of people in the real world face, and makes the characters act retarded. Seriously could anybody buy how all of a sudden all the girls wanted to sleep with Makoto?

Finally, I get to one of the hottest and most controversial topics regarding this show...the ending. It was...how should I put it mildly...extremely distasteful and disturbing. First of all...even though Makoto needed to be beaten up senseless and Sekai deserved a good slap on the face and a spanking, none of them really deserved to die. Things like this happen in real life and they can be resolved in a mature fashion. So, even though I know the viewers are intelligent and won't do anything stupid, I feel like I need to implore all girls who found their boyfriend cheating not to kill him. Just dump his sorry ass! It's really disturbing reading some comments how things like this should happen in real life.
Secondly, the amount of gore in both of the killings was not necessary. A simple stab in the stomach would carry the message, and it would actually have a bigger effect.
Finally, some of the scenes were really disturbing...like Kotonoha cutting Makoto's head off and putting it in a bag, or checking whether Sekai was really pregnant.

In conclusion, I would not really recommend this show to anyone. It's really illogical and inconsistent and the ending is downright disturbing. I'm glad it's finally over and I hope people will stop fussing about it soon (though this will probably be impossible, given the level of popularity it achieved). I'm just mad that the producers used so many cheap tricks (fanservice, gore) in order to appeal to the viewers, while the consistency of the show clearly suffered. If you want to watch a really good romance drama show, watch KGNE.

3/10(just for some good episodes in the middle of the show: 5-8)
Darklord_bg is offline   Reply With Quote