View Single Post
Old 2012-12-29, 10:17   Link #222
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
From my perspective, that scene was actually the only scene that mattered in the entire ALO arc, although to a certain extent the rest were necessary to set it up.
After the absolutely laughable first confrontation, they might as well not have bothered though. This would've worked after the fight against Kayaba or someone like him, but that joker Sugou?
In the light of that abomination of a fight, the RL confrontation just seemed to drag out an already dumb final confrontation... had last episode at least been done well, the RL confrontation would've had much more of the desired effect.

So yeah, I get what you're saying but surely ALO can't be considered anything but a complete failure of a story arc... I'm not even sure whether they want me to root for Asuna or Sugu anymore. Or why we are in a position of having to root for either at all.
BUT, I agree that presenting Kirito with a RL situation like this was important. I just wish it had been done in a better way. No one needs an entire arc full of awful to make that point.

Quote:
I gotta be honest: I thought .hack was a terrible show of its kind. I have to wonder if the writers had ever even looked at an MMO. It certainly succeeds in telling its own story, but as a story about gamers or games it fails on all levels.
.hack was released about a decade ago, at a time when MMOs were comparatively new. Both are about potential future VRMMOs but SAO was made today. Making a prediction as to what these would be like is much different and easier based on today's technologically improved MMOs than it was a decade ago, so I don't fault the former for that. Anyways, does that really matter? Since when was anime about realism?
As such, I was talking about the story told (which is what matters, imo), not game mechanics. Where .hack was pleasantly plot-driven, SAO decided to go down some strange harem/romance route, which I didn't expect or enjoy. SAO had potential...but wasted it carelessly on fanservice and girly romance.

You could say that I went into this show with the wrong expectations though.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote