View Single Post
Old 2010-07-07, 18:59   Link #1
Nosauz

"Good News everybody..." The Futurama Thread

Well 4 Seasons of well crafted satire and interesting look on the way we 20th centurians lived our technologically woeful lives and the show was canceled by Fox.

Lingering in the limbo that is off network syndication, and dvd sales, Futurama has waited, not until Fox brought back Family Guy was there any hope for new episodes, finally after 4 Pretty good Direct to Dvd movies and great support Fox sold the property to Comedy Central. Now in it's glorious 5th on air Season Futurama is back on Thursdays at 9:00est on Comedy Central.

Honestly this show is probably my favorite american animated series, which is hard to say because there are quite a few that may have had a chance such as Duckman with Jason Alexander, or Venture Brothers with their snarky take on the 80s adventure cartoons, but what set Futurama apart was the fact that it could be poignant yet funny and although the other shows I've mentioned also do that, there's something special about Futurama, about the characters. There are some episodes from seasons 1-4 that really touched me and as fan of Futurama I hope this thread can be discussion of new and old, great memories, and new ones to be shared.

My favorite episodes from seasons past would be Slurm Episode(Fry and the Slurm Factory) (this the best spoof on Willy Wonka and completely beats the Family Guy spoof) Dog nougat Episode(Jurrasic Bark), this is just an awesome episode,Parasites Lost, the five leaf clover episode(Luck of the Fryrish),Time keeps on Slipping, Devil's Hands (The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings)was also an amazing episode, I think that's a good place to start as the new season starts to kick into full gear.

Season 5 starts off with an interesting lead in with the death of Leela and a wacky resurrection of the gang except Leela. Overall the comedy for the episode was weak compared to episodes of yonder but as an introductory episode I felt like it really did a good job establishing characters for new comers and hopefully they will also dive into the great stories that Futurama has to tell and has told.

Episode two was rather lack luster for the new season, it felt quite awkward especially since it had seemed that the show was going to keep the idea of changing character dynamics. The jokes were a bit off at least for me and they didn't connect nearly as well as the first episodes story.

Episode 3 was in my opinion a great episode, it featured some character development between Fry and Leela, and it was funny because the whole Mom scheme shows that they won't be afraid to visit old vignettes like Mom's passion for terrible plans like the Sardine episode.

The new episode approaches and I myself am quite excited, and I will admit the last time I saw Jurrasic Bark a week ago I cried. I think that episode encapsulates how I felt about UP's 15 minute montage, it would be lovely if the guys at pixar were fans of Futurama because the style those are shot in are just lovely, and shows how powerful the medium of animation whether 2-d or 3-d can also be poignant and riveting, any check out the new season of FuturALL HAIL TO THE HYPNO TOAD.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote