View Single Post
Old 2009-05-21, 06:59   Link #98
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
(He woke up this morning at 8 A.M. It was the FIRST TIME I saw him set the alarm clock that early). So my speculations were right when I came downstairs; My brother was playing counter-strike once again with a half-bowl of ramen next too him.

The obsession/addiction has gotten to the point where he just simply does not even care about his personal appearance. Honestly, he looks like a tornado hit him or something, and when I always enter the room, clothes are just simply everywhere. It smells because he sweats when he plays.

Honestly, my brother has become something of a disgusting figure.
I'm sorry for having been like your brother for... Oh, what? Over 8 years of my life now? Perhaps I should have myself checked for problems?

To be honest, while I'm inclined to help you and your brother with what I see as a potential problem, I think you need to close your eyes and take a deep breath. I see you care about your brother, but you're applying standards to him that he may simply not care about at the moment. He may be deteriorating slowly, withering away in your eyes, but to him, he's making progress at what he wants to do. Applying your personal standards to him in a forceful manner will only be negative. I know it's tough, but sometimes waiting and understanding is the only thing we can do.

When he's degenerated into a hikkikomori or a madman, or close to it, that's when you should be worried. I haven't really seen any behavior that's abnormal for a teenager yet. A guy will stop caring about his appearances when he stops caring about how others look at him, and that does and can happen.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote