View Single Post
Old 2012-07-30, 12:57   Link #54
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Nope, it's a very interesting scenario where Coper sticks to Kirito. However I think we might have to also see the beginning of the Beta issue.

in addition, have you read Aria, Rondo and Monochrome Concerto? I think it's very much essential.

Now, if you want to mock Kirito's tendecies to attract girls, what if Coper was a rather masculine looking girl instead? In other words a Bifauxen. Indeed, it could be played as a major character point to built that character around, and a commentary of how true females in MMOs tend to be treated differently. Just an idea, but there's not very much to build Coper's character on.

Of course, a male centric team dynamics is probably more out of the norm in SAO and hence, fresh. I think one issue is that we see few examples of Kirito interacting with males his age, until Alicizaton.

Finally, you might want to consider how you are going to work in Klein, Asuna (unless you wish to kill her off screen, which could have happened had Aria proceeded differently, which is likely) ,Egil, and even Silica, Sacchi and the Black Cats, should Kirito run into them. Alternatively, you might opt for a cast of Oc's which is a more challenging prospect than simply having the original character cast coming into play.

There's a lot of potential for this to be a full length SAO divergence fic where Kirito or someone next to him makes very different choices, hence derailing the plot.
I have read nearly all the side stories (except Caliber) and every Vol but 7/9/10, and my story will specifically deal with lots of beta player issues. Coper will not steal any girls from Kirito or prevent him from doing canon events for the most part. I will be expanding on what the author has already given us, not modifying his stories to fit with a new addition to the cast. There's a lot of potential between First Day and Aria/Rondo/Monochrome and my story will try to bridge the gaps between them while trying to preserve canon integrity. I plan to have Coper's age be exactly between Kirito's (14) and Klein's (24) as a sort of counterbalance.

The reason I specifically picked Coper was because there wasn't much to build on and his betrayal of Kirito was out of left field imo. Coper will be at least in Kirito's mind, a replacement Klein for a while. One of the few things I will be changing from canon is Coper's weapon he has upon meeting Kirito. Of course that begs to ask why would he be doing the Anneal Blade quest if he isn't using swords? It should be fairly obvious to any MMO players, especially since weapons aren't 'soulbound' in SAO. The biggest reason I decided to give them different weapons was mainly competition. If both were using one handed straight swords it might breed contempt at a rare monster drop or something. If each of them is using a unique weapon, that is unlikely to occur.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote