View Single Post
Old 2013-02-23, 14:47   Link #52
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
It does seem like a possibility that it's the non-PK humans. I had thought the scientist group was fairly enlightened, what sick reason could they have to convert a HUGE part of the population to that? Ugh.
That I have no theory on but I just thought the monster rats acted very much like humanity from the beginning (and I don't just mean that they were intelligent). Of course part of it was because they found a false minoshiro but the way they advanced, their weapon development...reminds me of the advancement of humans, sort of like in a deja-vu sense.

But more importantly it always stood out to me that Shun asked the false minoshiro what happened to the non-PK humans and the false mino had no answer for him. Why bring that up in the story if the audience was not supposed to think about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
But he did run away on his own. The point is the elders screwed up in one execution and it cost them dearly. The moment Mamoru ran away, Saki and the others were gonna search for him. Tomiko's decision to give leeway to the members of Saki's group from memory whitewash backfired on them. They should have wiped off the other's memories of Mamoru before going after him. In that way even if they failed to kill him, no one would have gone looking for him when he got away.
Once again the key is still Maria not Mamoru. Many things could have happened differently but that still would not have lead to the fiend being born, only Maria's decision to leave with Mamoru ultimately made it possible.

Also Maria's decision was a key point of the episode, we have that long letter from Maria to Saki explaining why she left. The letter wasn't just because Maria & Saki were so close (although that was part of it) it was in some ways to show the significance of Maria's decision. CR is not working right now but I recall Maria even saying we will go far away and not bother anyone, but do you think Maria ever realized something like this would happen?

I am not saying the destruction of the village is entirely the fault of Maria (that is completely unfair and untrue) and yes there are many factors involved but this is why this is such a beautiful tragedy, because it was Maria's noble decision that at least partially lead to this tragedy. Sometimes good intentions can lead to bad results.

edit: Also another thing to consider while the education committee botched up the job, their concern about Mamoru's mental state might not have been completely unfounded.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-02-23 at 15:01.