View Single Post
Old 2010-01-16, 18:23   Link #364
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Either way, I'm always weary of these results.

At this point, I'm semi-derailing the topic, so I will say Simon is clearly the best character in the show.
It's good to be leery, the Sankaku article is indeed the one I was referring to, I guess it wasn't as in depth as I remembered (after I read it I recall following a bunch of links so I must have just lumped it all together in my brain ). However when you look at overall articles, like the one Sensei linked it does paint an interesting picture of relationships in Japan, and family life there as well.

How close is it to reality? Dunno. Numbers can be spun in some pretty interesting ways. And media does like to exaggerate for ratings.

Anyway, unintentional thread derailing aside, (which I do apologize for instigating), I still find myself praising this episode for handling the subject in a mature way without trying to dress it up heavily or hammer the message into the viewer into a preachy sermon. That there's all of these other bits of social commentary I find interesting in addition to that just really hammers home how much better I felt episode two was compared to one.