View Single Post
Old 2011-04-24, 03:10   Link #17
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
I just finished watching the first episode.

First thing off the top of my head is that, even with the historical nuances, the setting still feels very contemporary. The characters and their lives don't seem like they would be out of place in today's world at all. Though there's some definite contrast between the present and the past, such as the comparison photos in the OP, I think it's very easy to forget that this is 1964 and not 2011.

I saw that in Kouhei's character in particular. Things like waiting up for New Years (while failing miserably ) and getting anxious over allowance are very familiar things for me, though it would be a few months later for me than it would be for him. I saw plenty of parallels between my family and his, particularly between Kouhei and myself, so that had a bit more impact for me. Fortunately for my parents, I wasn't sneaking out and looking at naughty pictures. Considering my background, it might be a little easier for me to relate to some the cultural issues that this series will pick up on that my heritage and theirs share.

That said, I enjoyed the historical references and throwbacks, even though I'm sure I only managed to catch a few of them. I know I smiled at Ryou's line of work, for one.

Going back to the Yamazaki family and friends, I have a positive opinion on how they've been set up so far. The most evident thing, of course, is that they're very normal. You could probably easily find similar people in life if you looked. I do want to comment on the elder brother, Taichi; I had a very bad first impression of him due to his fight with the father, but it's actually looks like they're pretty similar people. I still only have a mixed opinion about him, so I'm looking forward to the coming-of-age next episode to see how he'll further shape up.

Like just about everyone else in this thread, I enjoyed the OP (and the previously mentioned comparison shots) and the tour epilogue. For those who have watched the second episode, is that a continuing thing or is it restricted to this premiere episode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Looking back, one can't help but be amazed by the earth-shaking events of the past that changed the future irrevocably. By comparison, everyday life today does seem like a dull, never-ending present. In a way, Francis Fukuyama was right: History ended with the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Soviet Union's collapse. There isn't a "grand narrative" any more.
I think that they might have felt the same way about their time, just as future generations might think back on the events of our own time and feel their flying-skateboard present is a little dull. In any case, we're all young; I think our narrative can become just as grand.
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote