View Single Post
Old 2013-05-26, 02:04   Link #956
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- Yes, depending on the kit. You could probably do OK with the Strike Eagle (Being mostly Sky grey), but the Shiranui might need a touch of paint for some accents. Kotobukiya usually has a couple of parts already molded with the colors, so it's not going to be too bad. It's not -absolutely- necessary, but obviously the kits are just that---plastic modelling kits--and look better if you put a bit of work into them.

- Well, a hobby knife or Sprue Cutter would be ideal. You DON'T want to rip the parts off the sprues and slap them together--you'll just turn into another one of those screaming N00bs who complain about why they have to assemble their toys and why there's these little ugly nubs on them when they assemble together.
I dunno, I have three non-scale Koto kits, and I'm quite happy with them unpainted. I'm absolutely horrible at painting anything, so they're staying as is. But then my friend who is a huge Gundam-head groans every time he sees my Koto kits unpainted.

If you want accuracy, you'll probably want paint if you're a bit OCD. But my UN Shiranui and EF-2000 look fine unpainted to me (my Type-00R however...). I'm working on the SU-37UB right now, but I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do with that one. The decal sheet for the camo is HUGE. You probably SHOULD paint this one if you want the camo, but meh.

June93, if you want to see what unpainted looks like, here's my Shiranui:

And here's my Typhoon:

Like I said, I'm happy with them as-is, but I know more people are less than thrilled with bare plastic. Your taste really.

I will say, for some reason, these Koto kits felt much more time-consuming over most Gundam kits I've built. I wouldn't say harder though.
touge-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote