View Single Post
Old 2008-07-10, 16:26   Link #121
escimo
Paparazzi

Just popped in to inform that most of the images are down. My damn hosting service died on me and providers customer service can't be bothered to answer e-mails. (well at least they're really cheap...) To make matters a bit worse I didn't have an exact backup of the folder where the images were stored. Anyway. The opening post and tutorials are up and running again. Hopefully the rest of the stuff will come back on-line soon. If it's not back up by tomorrow evening (say about 10pm UTC+3) I'll go through the whole thread and edit my posts. I'm so hoping I don't have to do that. In the future I'll use the new host which is hopefully going to be a bit more reliable.

Edit: Went through the thread and fixed the links. Damn I hope I'll never have to do that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
You have some pretty neat flowers there! I like them overall, but according to the image properties you were shooting at f1.8 for all of them? I'd say it created a nice effect for most of them, but for some I might have used a higher f-number. For the last three that you have it created a pretty nice effect with the flowers themselves, but the background 'bokeh' is too soft, for my taste. It's pleasing, but the 'bokeh' I've come to like best occurs when you see tens or hundreds of dots of light, and the blurred colors are a bit more distinct. In those shots the background all mixes together. It's a bit more ethereal than the 'bokeh' I try to get, and definitely not better or worse - it's all subjective. Just some notes from my end

Of course, I'm also envious that you can get down to f1.8. HR-4 is my absolute favorite, and in that shot the shallow depth of field really played out very nicely. Let's see if I can +rep you now that it's been a few days... (edit: nope, still no good )
True, the depth of field is too shallow in most of them and those were the best ones. Actually they're more color experiments than bokeh anyway. 300d's color reproduction is somewhat far from perfect so quite a bit of post processing is always needed. Well, I'll probably be replacing it anyway in September or October.

Last edited by escimo; 2008-07-10 at 17:19.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote