View Single Post
Old 2012-12-22, 14:38   Link #926
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post

They do, however:
1.) Most of it originates from the U.S. and as I said, I am not sure myself if this is part of the problem, or really just a symptom. I can tell you at least, that local productions usually are much more tame in that respect.
2.) The PG ratings for violent material come out different, are usually more strict
Keep in mind Dhomochevsky. Germany has particularly draconian censorship laws about violence in media. France has a similar murder rate to Germany, and as far as I know, they don't have nearly the kind of censorship of violent media the same way Germany has.

There's another thing you REALLY need to stop and consider...Hollywood really isn't an entire American institution creatively wise. Think about some of the biggest names in Hollywood.

James Cameron? A Canadian.

Del Toro? Mexican.

Peter Jackson? New Zealand.

Pierre Morel (he did Taken with Liam Neeson)? He's French.

Really...when so many of Hollywoods top actors, directors and producers are international, and the international market makes such a overwhelming part of Hollywood's profits, is it really accurate to characterize everything Hollywood makes as entirely American products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Maybe all of these are just symptoms, rather than causes. But if they are, they point to something really problematic.
I think you're focusing too much on the idea that there's a correlation between violent media and violence in society.

Look at Hong Kong. Hong Kong is lower than Japan when it comes to homicides. But look at the kind of media that Hong Kong produces.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

A Chow Yun Fat Herioc blood shed movie sees more people violently killed in 5 minutes than are killed in all of Hong Kong annually (300 people get killed over the course of the movie. A violent crime spree that would probably make international headlines even in a violent developing country). Is this kind of movie a symptom of some innate and pervasive problems with extreme violence in Hong Kong?

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-12-22 at 14:52.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote