View Single Post
Old 2013-02-05, 13:36   Link #57
Kirarakim

I didn't like the first Star Trek movie at all, doubt I will enjoy this one either but I do want to see it for Benedict Cumberbatch.

I can say a few things movies based on television series are rarely good. Some things are just better fit for a smaller screen (even though TV is becoming more cinematic these days in some senses). When you move TV series to the big screen, producers try to compensate by making it bigger and more exciting but sometimes that loses the soul of what made the original so great.

I am not the biggest star trek fan but the best episode of the series were just great stand alone stories. Even though Star Trek had continuous cast and some continuous storylines, I think the best TV sci-fi just told really wonderful short stories (my favorite being the Twilight Zone).

Of course you can still have a really well told sci-fi story in a movie but I think sadly a small sci-fi movie tends to be ignored by the masses and the critics for the most part so instead you get the blockbuster sci-fi at least winning on one front. But I prefer those smaller movies myself.