View Single Post
Old 2011-05-28, 12:08   Link #74
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Very heartwarming episode. As much as I hate to repeat, it is yet another simple but powerful episode. So yes, for those who were speculating domestic abuse or whatever, I would suggest you dropping the idea because that is really not what this show is about.

And we found out what the line in previous episode's preview meant. It indeed should be taken literally, interestingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
That might show how broken she really is, because my untrained self heard her last line as 'You're f***ing kidding me, right?' (in a very monotone, serial killer manner )

I wonder how guys who know Japanese would translate that line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Second time I heard it as "ふざけてるはね" (fuzaketeru wa ne), like everyone else (well almost like everyone else, I keep hearing "wa ne" not "yo ne"). That seems right, and I do have a tendency to mishear voiced as unvoiced and vice-versa.

But if that's right: it seems like she's saying that affectionately to Menma, and not about Jinta's friends? Like the dialog is essentially "Menma, it seems like Jinta and his friends sure are doing all kinds of things on your behalf. *Pause*. You're goofing around, right?", with the same affection as when she described Menma as a bit of an airhead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Indeed it's "wa ne", I was focused on the first part and misheard the rest. I don't dislike your take on the dialogue, since I'm more inclined to think it's the father.

On a related note, UTW subs are out and translate that line as "What a joke". Previously though, the whole discussion between the three and the fireworks' man has been translated as if they were talking of a female (she, her).
First of all, yes, the line is indeed "fuzaketeru wa ne". Fuzakeru is usually translated as "what a joke/you gotta be kidding me" in English subbing, but that is just one of the ways the term can be interpretated. Other than meaning kidding/nonsense/making fun of, it can mean 2 more things:

1. Flirting between a man and a woman; or
2. Kids/animals messing around/making a fuss.

And in this case, it's the 2nd one. Menma's mom was still talking about Jinta and others, not Menma. The 2 lines are connected together, so the whole dialogue is:

"Onee-chan (Menma), Jinta-kun and others seem to be working really hard for your sake." (not working as literally working even though they did "work")

"They are really messing around."

As noted by miketyson, she said that affectionately, so she wasn't blaming them or anything. She simply meant they went too far to fulfill Menma's wish, trying to get an adult to make fireworks for them.