View Single Post
Old 2012-07-17, 21:12   Link #1273
chad001
Happy-End Totalitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollownerox View Post
Personally I don't really like Harem ends, simply because it seems like an easy way out for an author to end a romantic comedy series. It does get old sometimes with the series having the Main Character hooking up with the obvious heroine, but having the ending with the MC getting all the girls in the end makes the romantic conflicts in the story feel pointless. Personally I'm fine with Ayumu hooking up with any of the girls (Except for Kyoko, Yandere just isn't my thing) as long as the author doesn't pull a Seitokai no Ichizon on us, cause that would make me reeeaaallly depressed...
I'm actually the opposite, as long as it's done well, I prefer a good harem end. This is because I don't like seeing any of the characters unhappy as long as it can be helped, personally at least, I immerse myself in fiction because it posses an element that real life lacks, not to see others (characters or otherwise) get hurt. If I wanted a depressing example of realism and the limitations of reality, I'd go play Day of Defeat: Source, or maybe watch School Days, lol. And referring to the "easy way out" portion of harem ends, you're probably referring to ambiguous, "no-decision" endings, and yeah, I'll agree those are pretty frustrating at times, but an actual legit 'harem-end'? That's actually incredibly difficult, both referring to social norms and granting romantic satisfaction to all the members, micromanaging that many relationships is NOT EASY. I mean, we're taught all the time through various media that managing ONE relationship is hard enough. Multiple? With an average of 5 (for harem-anime)? That's not something that i would want to try at least... and that's why I watch animes/manga/LN like this: I can respect the characters in the story for the courage to try, and for achieving something that I am unable to.
chad001 is offline   Reply With Quote