View Single Post
Old 2012-12-09, 07:16   Link #103
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
It may be a fundamental part of the plot, but it would probably be an extended version of "Take off the eyepatch" with Rikka making no-answers. That's why they could skip it, which I think was a good decision for the tone of the episode.

If they wanted the couple's fight to entail some other relevant point besides what can be summarized with what Yuuta said, they wouldn't skip it like that.
Here's my view here - Yuuta has made a lot of progress with Rikka, but a key to it is that he's the first person to truly understand her and accept her.

Now he's saying something to her that shows (at the very least) that there's a practical limit to how much he'll accept her chuunibyou. So Yuuta is taking a stand that I would think could threaten the bond he's build up with Rikka.

If Yuuta's words have the desired effect, and result in no serious backlash, then I'd like to know how he managed to put this in a way that didn't seriously hurt his bond with Rikka.

On the flip side, if Yuuta's words do result in a backlash, then I'd like to know the specific words that have offended Rikka.

This anime has set up a compelling conflict around the question of "How do you get through to Rikka without severely hurting her/traumatizing her?" We can see that Touka's hard-line "get with reality, Rikka!" approach wasn't working. We can see that Yuuta's "I love and accept you for who you are, Rikka" was working, but it perhaps wasn't shifting her quickly enough out of being a hardcore chuunibyou.

So I'd like to know what specific words struck the right balance.