View Single Post
Old 2011-06-12, 11:25   Link #9
ipodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Satsuki finally returns -- this time as an antagonist! The more I see of her, the less I like her. Her being the one who wrote the bad review (without visiting the inn of course; she had no qualms admitting she gave them a low score on someone else's orders (most likely the guys building that hot spring complex)) was an interesting twist. This revelation hit Ohana hard. She always made sacrifices so that her mom would have more free time, and all her mom did with that free time is fool around with dudes and write fake reviews. She doesn't even feel bad about it. At all.
Love her or hate her, but I think the situation depicted in this episode is very mature. Many adults have a job that they cannot be proud of, but they are doing it to support their kids. This is what Satsuki does - and she accepts it. Some people will feel bad for what they have to do and look for another job, other people will resign to their situation and reconcile their moral qualms for the sake of their family and kids (or for themselves).

This is the reality. And this series didn't sugarcoat it by having Satsuki apologizing to anyone for her work. This is what I would do. I put in the hours to get the job done. I get my paycheck. I am not going to apologize to anyone for your moral issues as long as I am not breaking any laws. A job gives us a sense of responsibility, and we don't always have the luxury of keep searching for a job that will fit us. Sometimes, in the real world, we have to change ourselves to fit our job.

At the same time, even with all her failings, Satsuki still supports Ohana's own beliefs and the path she has chosen by bringing her snacks. Yes, the parenting style depicted here is a very adult, and a cold one, with no tears or hugs. Yet, who is to say that it's not the reason why Ohana has grown to be a headstrong and an independent teenager?