Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Captain Earth (Bones)
View Single Post
Old 2014-04-08, 03:59   Link #216
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I think there is a fine line between introducing some mysteries to stimulate the viewer's curiosity and making an outright confusing premiere. Unfortunately, Bones often errs on the latter side. The combination of obscure lingo, a plethora of barely-introduced characters and mysterious organizations made the first episode a mess.

The fact that the alien faction look very human (especially the mechanics!) only added to the confusion. I have patience, so I will keep following the show, but I cannot fault those who decide to bail out.
That fine line isn't fine at all where pilots are concerned. The main thing I'm seeing where Captain Earth is concerned, is a huge amount of people who don't understand the difference between important elements, and unimportant elements. I've seen people comment about how there are too many characters, or too many questions, and been completely confused by both.

A lot of the characters and mysteries of the first episode aren't relevant, and a lot of people are too used to this idea that every anime pilot should introduce everything in the show right off the bat. The reason why we don't know the names of every person on the station is because most of them aren't important, and all of them are irrelevant at this present time. Just as well, half of the lingo is going to be flavor text more than it is relevant.

This is a big reason why people seem to have this perception that Captain Earth is more confusing as a pilot than most anime. If I knew why the MC was pulled into this mysterious war between a mysteriously oversized space station that seems to have huge and invisible lateral thrusters and an equally mysterious lunar-based whatever, I would actually be forced to criticize this story for having too much exposition. Also, there would be a lot of us here complaining about Bones dropping infodumps in their pilot.

The short version is: A lot of this 'confusing' stuff isn't relevant yet, and most of it will be explained in the second (at most, the third) episode. That's how fiction works. Hell, that's how well-written non-fiction works. A well written newspaper article uses this same principle of leading with a teaser, followed by answers to all your burning questions.