Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-04, 22:17   Link #1816
Sphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
^Thing is, Taichi caused Iori harm not because of a desire to do so. It was an accident that was incidental to his desire to leave the room and go to Yui's house. The damage that was caused to Iori was a fairly remote result of his desire to leave. Simply put, it was a freak accident.

Yui's fear was that she would have a desire to attack boys directly, or indirectly attack them due to a desire to protect girls. These desires are closely related to the possible resulting damage that she is afraid of. She was afraid of the previous incident in which she directly attacked the delinquents. Her fear isn't about the remote possibilities that aren't reasonably foreseeable.

Taichi's argument is that she can overwrite a desire to harm by a stronger desire not to harm. It doesn't mean that no harm will occur by accident or due to random factors, since accidents are part and parcel of everyday life and will occur whether or not one's desires are unleashed. Rather, the argument is that the desire itself can be overwritten, not that the harm can be prevented 100% of the time.
Depends really, Taichi's outburst was 'Don't Interfere' and directed towards Iori, who was butting in on his argument. It was aggressive in nature, or he was angry at least. So while it was an accident, it was still firmly his fault. What's to stop him doing something similar when he gets angry next time? He's been angry at everyone in this arc (except at Iori). Taichi's case is slightly different to Yui's, but if the underlying concept of desire overwriting desire is being used, it still is weak.

Taichi said he was selfish and arrogant and whatnot, but now he isn't? Why? Seems to be 'just because'. I mean, I know he hurt everyone, and he's reflecting, but it still leaves a lot unanswered. So much so that we can't truly say his desires have changed. We just have to accept it, which is why I'm not enthralled.

In Yui's case, are we agreeing? Nothing Taichi nor Aoki said changes that she wanted to harm those guys. If the same situation came up again, why would anything be different? Is Yui now going to sit idly by and let the guys harass girls just because her desire to not harm is greater than her desire to harm, thus screwing those girls? How is that any better? Also, colour me unconvinced that Yui just suddenly won't have a desire to harm in such scenarios. At least in Taichi's case, he reflected, but in Yui's case? It just seems like a cop out. Taichi's mentality supposedly changed, but Yui? She still fears guys, wants to protect girls.

And like I said, if it's simply one desire overwriting another desire....that's how it works in normal life. What is the point in this gimmick, when the way to overcome it, is exactly the same as you do in normal situations? How was this even successful in the first place? Wouldn't everyone (who's good natured, as these people are), have a desire to not harm people in the first place? Why did that not kick in before? Do you have to consciously realise it? Wouldn't it imply these people have dark desires first and foremost (except maybe Iori)? And that's disregarding the fact people have multiple desires that can contradict each other and are dependant on the environment/situation at hand.

Although, maybe it does imply Taichi isn't good natured to begin with...but then he never imposed his selfish ideals onto others before....so....what was the point?

This also made me think of how violence can be an action, not just a desire. You can desire good things, but do it through violence. Like killing to preserve peace. How does having a 'do no harm' mentality help there (in this specific gimmick scenario where desires are unleashed irrespective of the action utilised)?