View Single Post
Old 2009-04-06, 12:31   Link #5
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
With the blatant overuse of photoshop and quick cuts, many a parody anime have become unwatchable for me. I've been going backwards to shows like Ichigo Marchmellow or even sticking to KyoAni shows for my comedy fix.

Anyone else turned off by the blatant overuse of quick cuts and photoshop filters in parody anime? It's like directors are more interested in slicing up the comedy instead of framing it.
I do like my share of visually innovative, experimental and stylized artwork (Utena, Touka Gettan, etc.), but I largely agree with you. All of these non-traditional techniques have their place, but they should be employed for specific purposes, and in measured quantities. Surreal shows can use them a lot more because of their nature, while more realistic shows should use them very sparingly, and only for shorter periods of time. I have noticed that while a few anime over-use this kind of technique, it's been at an acceptable level for the vast majority of the ones I watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I know what you mean. Those techniques are fine every now and then, but over use of them actually detracts from the experience. I did enjoy Hidamari Sketch, but I can't help think it'd have been better with more traditional "camera work".
Hear hear. More traditional cinematography and direction would have made watching just about any SHAFT show more enjoyable for me, and I note the same thing for a few other shows like White Album.