View Single Post
Old 2012-11-27, 17:46   Link #5
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

I was slightly worried in 2011 when they announced this was coming. Partly because it wasn't clear if it was a movie series, and OVA series, or a TV series (the anwer to those is yes...all the above). Also worried it might turn out like Yamato 2520 or DaiYamato in the 1990s. The hope came from the 2009 animated film and the 2010 live action film. It 2199 could be made better than those....

My only complaint is that is comes out so slowly (presently there are 10 episodes out with four more due in January). But for that slowness we get a quality product from people who quite obviously care about the old show, as they spent an awful amount of time detailing and correcting plotholes either correcting or explaining mistakes from the original show from 1974. They have also included things from later in the show to complete the circles that were presented in backstory (characters that were introduced in later series or films that should have been around in the first series, or were said to have been around but we never saw them). They've also made it so the crew doesn't suffer from the "hundreds of men, one woman", problem that happened a lot in the 1970s.

It isn't even a straight retelling either. They are making new stories to fit into the old ones, as well as changing some of the character dynamics. And it is handled very well. I do hope they make a Comet Empire based sequel at some point, cause I seriously want to see their vision of the Battle of Saturn and the Earth Defense Forces at there high point with Battleship Andromeda.

Also gloriously detailed spaceships.