View Single Post
Old 2012-11-24, 19:47   Link #58
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
The story is certainly social control, but what if the syndomes (there were two, weren't there?) were not genetic but mental disorders?

You've seen the destruction Satoru could wreak. Now imagine you use your powers so much that they become second nature. Then imagine you lash out when angry... A single slip could be desastrous.

Then imagine a very smart boy discovers secrecy but not the secret, and he can't talk about it for fear of prosecution. From episode one, I had the impression that Shun was controlling his expressions much more than any of the others. This may easily lead to stress (estrangement from society, fear of letting the mask slip, etc.) and maybe to paranoid symptoms. Then imagine he gains even more knowledge and has done something forbidden. Even more stress.

I think the eye in the egg is a reflection of Shun feeling watched. The stress is taking over, catching up. Shun is becoming mentally exhausted and losing control. That could easily be what people refer to as "Karma demons".

What the story about "pride" etc. is warning you away from is, I think, overuse of your powers and use of your powers for selfish motives. If you get used to your powers to the extent that they might become reflexive? A single strong emotion, anger, say, or fear, could have very bad consequences.

If social control slips, you get removed, because estrangement makes you more dangerous. Literally.

Also, it's possible that children with weak or no powers get removed because they might awaken to them or get stronger later in life, when you're less impressionable. Someone who awakens to the power during puberty, for example, might be ticking time bomb.

Or I'm overthinking things.

Another I thing I found interesting in this episode is the talk about elictricity. Interesting. The setting keeps expanding.
That actrually makes a lot of sense. thanks for that.