View Single Post
Old 2013-09-20, 21:08   Link #651
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeReality View Post
You just contradicted yourself - not sure what the point of your post was. I agree that "incredibly" was an overstatement on my part, but it is common for harem genres to be underweight or borderline underweight. Rewrite (not an anime, but along those lines), for example, has female leads having BMIs between 17.5 to 18.5. Kanon has them all around 17.5. That's around the bottom 5th to 20th percentile for 17-year-old females. These statistics are meant for the American population, so I'm not sure if they are meant for the Japanese as well.
I do recall reading that the Japanese are way more likely to be underweight than Americans so that's likely to throw the percentiles a bit.

Quote:
Edit:
The average height of 16-year-old Japanese females in 2002 was 157.7 cm and the average weight was 53.3 kg. This comes out to a BMI of about 21. I don't think the creators based their characters on the body parameters of real average people, considering all their heroines (in certain anime) have BMIs much lower than the average.
[/QUOTE]

The impression I've gotten is that there's actually quite a lot of Japanese girls who are in the 17.5 to 18.5 range. They wouldn't have the sort of figures they do in the show though - like Archon points out, someone as... "huggable" as Kotomi is not going to be an 18.5.

(Random aside: I can actually think of at least one example of a male character from a harem show having that sort of light body weight too - Jin, Sorata's ladykiller neighbor in Sakurasou no pet na Kanojo.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Lol, damn them anorexic measurements.
In Clannad's case, none of them are that light.

Quote:
It makes about as much sense as anime age-- then again anime is also not known for its accurate depiction of human physiology. IIRC they were on the short end too. Though Nagisa is fine, and maybe Kyou too. It's those more voltoptrous girls that makes it just really strange.

I dunno, Kotomi is too thick to be 106 lbs. And of course Tomoyo's really thick on her lower end and to weigh even less-- that's just odd. They should have just been like Chun Li and kept her weight a secret.
While I agree the given weights are too low, I've never had a problem with the height though, those heights are pretty normal for Japan. Nor the... "other measurements" relative to the visuals. I once tried to guess one of my girlfriend's three sizes by thinking which Clannad character(s) she was closest to build wise and referencing their specifications. She got ticked off with me but eventually admitted that I pretty much nailed it.

Quote:
And then Ayu is like supposedly like 1 inch shorter than Nagisa. Dang, Kanon needed "not draw to scale"
IMO the only really truly short Key girl is Kud from Little Busters at 145cm (coincidentally, the real life height of Madoka seiyuu Yuuki Aoi).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote