Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-21, 00:24   Link #59
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yeah, I spotted the main deserter in the crew lineup. I think I spotted the later era Chief Engineer as well (he was suppose to be on the ship, but they didn't introduce him until "New Voyages"). Considering one of the chief people involved with this is I think supposes to be THE Yamato fanboy in Japan...the guy that started their largest fanclub I guess back in the 70s....I think he knows what he's going...at least on details (fanboys can catch details, but some can't write themselves out of a paperbag).

But on the other hand...this is Yamato. People will die. Even in the trailer you see people dying. It all is a matter of who and when. (Because, like Star Trek...in one version or another...I think everyone has died on that ship. Just depends on the timeline.)

Having characters that appeared later in the series show up early on I think is a nice touch. It fills in some odd plotholes...like why was this guy on the ship, but we never saw him until the third film...when we saw "everyone" that was on the ship in the previous film. Or where was the Captain of the Battleship Andromeda during the Gamilon War...well, he's in the trailer a few times...so that question will be answered.

With the realization on Yamamoto, that finishes covering all ther various tasks Yuki has been put into in various films and episodes. Radar Operations (her real job, and that of the 17 year old that does third shift), Psychology...she was about the only one that could talk to just about anybody and get them to listen (covered I suppse by the older blue haired woman), Nurse (covered by the new Miss Fanservice, doing double duty because that was also a Yuki role), and Fighter Pilot...(from the Live Action Movie). That means Yuki gets to keep her roll in the likely love triangle and radar operation. Though I don't know what else they might have her do now. I'd guess filling in as needed, as if this series keeps in line with the much, much, much later sixth film (that came out in 2009), she will be a battleship's Captain someday.

One plotline I and some others are interesting in seeing...the plotline for Kodai's brother. The one that was dropped during the original run due to budget issues. While the start of his story has been in every version of this tale, his endings vary. The only hint I have that they might try to do the original version (or a variant of it), is that they made a third Earth ship type for the Battle of Pluto. A ship type that looks a lot like the one used in the manga that followed that plotline. That isn't Kodai's brother's ship thats he uses at that battle, but the look is close to the later seen ship.