View Single Post
Old 2013-06-06, 09:28   Link #369
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
Stretching the source material into 3 movies was an obvious mistake artistically, but probably not financially.
Yah think? Even with a supposed budget of 300 million, "Unexpected Journey" still made over a billion dollars worldwide. As so long as the next two film make at least 800 million each, then the Tolkien franchise will go down in history as one of the biggest franchises of all time with a combined box office of somewhere over 5.5 billion dollars (the franchise is currently resting at somewhere around 3.9 billion). Obviously, adjusting for inflation and what not will change these numbers some what, but suffice to say it was an amazingly good idea to split the Hobbit into three films even if the end result might have created lesser films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My take on the first movie was "mostly good - needs the stupid cartoon parts edited down" like the hyperbolic Wiley Coyote goblin mine escape.
Besides the unnecessary humorous end (which still worked because the film is a pseudo-family feature), that was actually one of the few scenes I really liked. It was a glorious piece of animation with some great technical details and sound effects and editing. It was a little overlong, but a nice set-piece and an obvious comparison to the similar scene in "Fellowship of the Ring".

The weird chase scene earlier on right before they enter Elf-city was a far more annoying sequence (imo).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote