View Single Post
Old 2010-05-30, 04:04   Link #2041
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post
Whatever you think, I'm not slighting his age. Evangelion is really a realization of Hideaki Anno, this I'm sure everyone knows. And like all people, we change over time. Anno is now 50 years old this year, compared to 35 when he first directed EVA TV! And fans of Eva who could have digested it in some decent manner at its debut who were 13-25 are now 28-40 years old.

I think age and time are actually massive factors in understanding the significance of Rebuild of Evangelion and its place in the history and culture of anime.

The broken emotionality and deep-seated insecurity of the original EVA really led me to my first anxiety attack after finishing EoE, and obviously it's really awesome. But the kinds of problems manifested in the original EVA were also representative of the 4 year period in Anno's life where he felt he was a broken man... and I think the significant changes in undertones in Rebuild represents the answers or direction to where he took his life after that.
Oh yeah...I definitely agree. As Myssa Rei said, it's like the "newer, happier" Tomino who directed the Zeta Gundam movies as opposed to the Zeta Gundam show.

I always got the feeling that Eva was a story Anno NEEDED to tell, to try to exorcise those demons...the fact that it came out as well as it did is testament to his storytelling abilities and to the rest of the Gainax staff in helping to shape the series.

I'd also hope that Rebuild is likewise a story Anno needs to tell...and his focus has quite obviously changed. Which I think is kind of cool, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he NOW thinks is an appropriate finale for this world.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote