Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-21, 11:27   Link #5543
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Oh lawdy, if you thought the lobby had power during the Abramoff years boy were you wrong, welcome to the United States of Corporate America, because corporations matter more than you citizen.
Corporations/companies still cannot donate directly to campaigns, but must do it via lobbyists. The majority opinion is using a First Amendment argument to weigh its case; there is something... peculiar about this that I don't much like - i.e., it doesn't 100% fit, IMHO - but I'm too tired ATM to think it through.

What does the minority opinion say, however? It's a 5:4 decision in the end. This decision was not heavily favored certainly.

I would imagine that this precedent would be useful to not just companies, but also to other types of entities like churches, unions, and etc., though? It's... stretchable. In such a case, U.S. elections will be... interesting to watch - preferably from a distance, IMHO. Right vs Left. Companies vs Unions. Popcorn sounds good for that for the viewing audience.

Brown arrives on Capital Hill and meets with senators
Quote:
WASHINGTON – Sen.-elect Scott Brown came to Congress Thursday, proclaiming Washington needs help in solving the country's problems because "we've sort of lost our way."

Still basking in the glow of his stunning victory in the Massachusetts special Senate election against Martha Coakley, Brown said he looks forward to getting to work. "I plan to look at every bill and make a rational decision," said Brown, speaking to reporters outside a Senate office building after he arrived on Capitol Hill.
Is he going to be pushed through by MA then, or will they, like some pundits had thought, drag out the process for awhile?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!