View Single Post
Old 2012-10-30, 11:22   Link #1401
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS00N View Post
I've posted that it appears the mode will only activated if certain limit has been passed instead of mysteriously change itself...
That doesn't relate to my point.

My point is that there's no evidence that once the gun goes into "Lethal shot" mode that the person holding the gun can manually override back down to "Paralyzing shot". So if the gun goes into "Lethal shot" mode, an option has been taken away from the person handling (that option being "shoot to non-lethally subdue").

A speedometer doesn't take options away from police officers. It's still at their discretion as to how to respond to a "red" speedometer reading.

Quote:
Problem is, she sit on POOL of Gasoline that will explode and KILL Kogami who stand on the pool.

Also, while the paralyzer might cause her to faint, but as long as the lighter still in her hand then the POOL gasoline still might explode and KILL Kogami...
Well, if you want to get this technical, then lethal shot might cause her to drop the lighter (just before her body completely explodes), lighter's flame hits the poll, and you still get massive explosion.

Even given these very specific circumstances, I don't see how lethal shot is preferable to paralyzing shot purely for the sake of eliminating the immediate threat posed by the target.

So I don't think that shifting from Paralyzing shot to Lethal shot is simply a reflection of immediate threat level. I think it's because the Crime Coefficient has shot up, and the Dominator basically determines that once a person's CC goes so high, that person is beyond the point of rehabilitation (hence "it's Ok to kill him/her").

The fact that this rape victim is successfully recovering shows a weakness in the the Dominator, imo - It can take an unwarranted "Shoot to Kill" approach with certain targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post

Sorry, I think I may have caused you to misunderstand here - I'm not saying that the system has been tampered or sabotaged (there's no concrete evidence of that... yet), I'm saying that it's a convention of the cyberpunk genre that any such system as this usually ends up sabotaged or tampered, or if it's a self-aware AI, goes rampant. I'm actually speculating/expecting.
I see your point. Yeah, there's a good chance that Psycho-Pass will go in one of those two directions.

Quote:

That said, at least on the threat assessment when the energy blasts start flying, the system at least appears to be able to judge threat levels.
That's probably true. But I don't think that the Dominator's readings are based on threat level alone. I could be wrong about that, but we'll probably just have to wait and see.