View Single Post
Old 2008-11-28, 15:49   Link #16
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirachi View Post
Although I disagree with how they opened the episode (especially considering the cliffhanger of last episode), I really enjoyed it. But while the Asch flashback was very emotional and gave an early insight into Asch as a character, it seemed a little unnecessary and random to show at the time. Like Sunrise just wanted to bypass the "Asch is a douche" phase and immediately garner the audience's sympathy. While some may find the tactic excellent, I find it very cliche.

But besides being a nitpick, good episode. Surprised that the animation hasn't really dropped yet.
Personally I think that was a good place for the flashback. These events had to have gotten Asch thinking about the past at some level and that being reflected in his dreams kind of fits. Some conversations with his replica, seeing Natalia again, and Van actions would likely have triggered some memories. Was a handy spot since it gave a chance for Luke to understand Asch's position better through the dreams.

Just like how I'm sure Jade is also thinking about his past with the legacy of fomicry coming back to haunt him. Just in this case they only focused on Asch and didn't go into the past of Jade yet. But really with Asch we pretty much 'knew' all this already it just hits it home more by actually seeing it in action.