View Single Post
Old 2004-06-06, 02:28   Link #92
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

I'm digging Macross Zero more myself. Granted, I am a big Macross fan in general, but even so I'm also a fan of strong character developement and storylines. While neither show is particularly dazzling as far as either, I must say I do like the characters in Zero much more. Rei just winds up being the all too stereotypical brooding, troubled "hero" that is far to overdone in anime. Shin seems to start that way, but even early on into the first episode we get to see he has actual personality and isn't completely cookie-cutter.

In the earlier episodes of Macross Zero, I agreed with the idea that Yukikaze's cel shaded fighters are the way to go, but Zero's CG and having 2D animation for the Valkyries mixed in, has been making huge strides in quality. Back at the beginnining, comparing Yukikaze and Zero, it seemed like Zero had much better 2d animation and backgrounds, while Yukikaze's 3D was better.(Yukikaze had some pretty bad CG rendered backgrounds in places, so much it hurt). Now I'd say Zero is rocking in all three.

I'm just worried about how Zero will end. At episode 4, with only one episode left, it seems like there's hardly any room to finish the story off with a satisfactory ending. Kowamori is gonna have to pull off some major magic in writing that last episode. I expect it will indeed be a double length episode, but that's just conjecture at this point.

As for the file size, look at it this way, the previous versions were all DVD rips at uber high quality. I think that this latest fansub was taken from a raw, unsubbed version of episode 4 that has been floating around since the episode was released in Japan. There will probably be a DVD version in the near future, in wich Anbu/A1 will clean up their subtitles and give it a better encode.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote