View Single Post
Old 2011-10-03, 16:14   Link #52
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I haven't done it myself, but I have noticed that the person taking fansubber's 10bit releases on nyaatorrents and re-releasing them as 8bit is releasing slightly smaller files. We're talking about a decrease of roughly 25 MiB for UTW's Fate/Zero (431.9 MiB to 405.7 MiB), and a decrease of about 16 MiB for gg's Working'!! (261.9 to 244.6).

So, those 8 bit files are smaller than their corresponding 10 bit files. So your 10 bit encodes being a larger file size seems to fit that trend.
Most groups that put out both 8 and 10 bit versions tend to end up with smaller file sizes for the 10 bit from what I've seen. Reencodes are different matter since there may be other variables betwen the encodes - 8 vs. 10 bit is not the only setting that effects file size in H.264.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
If VSFilter is a dead path and has a shrinking list of advantages over libass, why hasn't there been a migration?
There's currently no DirectShow version of libass so you can't use it with MPC-HC or CCCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Just from my personal experience... I pretty much have to use MPC-HC for blogging purposes. I converted my netbook using the CCCP pack, and while it worked, it took a lot of tweaking and adjusting to get everything working the way I needed it to in terms of subs, screencaps, etc.

OTOH, on my main system - which I'd been avoiding converting because I didn't want to deal with all that again - I just uploaded the LAV codecs. Literally in 2 minutes I was playing 10-bit on my old MPC after clicking two boxes in the MPC options menu. Didn't have to uninstall anything or make any other tweaks. So far - knock wood - it's playing flawlessly. Far, far easier than any other method I've seen so far.
So you're using MPC-HC's own subtitle renderer, I take it? And which output mode?

If my experience with the X120e is any indication, I wouldn't count on 10 bit playing on a netbook due to performance issues.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.