View Single Post
Old 2012-09-13, 23:12   Link #388
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well, I thought of an imagery thing from the past: a black man walks into either an all white club, or a prodominately white store back in the early 1950s. Everyone stops doing what they are doing at look at him. Some might threaten him, some might ask him to leave, but no one continues on as if nothing is going on. Nothing continues to happen normally until the black man has left the building (one way or another). Even if it is not illegal for him to be there, or he'd a servant for some white family and just picking up something for them as ordered. Normal life stops for everyone there until the black man leaves. The shop clerk might tell the black man to leave...he might just hand him what he needs. It all depends on the situation. Just that everyone else stops going about their own business until the black man is gone.

I'm sure you've seen films about the era or television shows where this happens.

The analogy is similar. It seems like America stopped once the black man was in office, and they won't stop looking at him until he leaves. Then they will continue on like nothing happened.

It be like if you had 99 white kids on a playground and than one black kid comes to play. And for some reason everyone stops playing. No one has any fun until the black kid leaves. They might even try to deny fun while he is there. Take down the swing or something. It is entirely illogical...but whoever said the human race was logical?

At least it isn't as bad as Chris Rock thought it would be back in 1992...with the first black President having to jump around for all speeches to avoid snipers and the like.
I'll wait to see how the second term goes... I've got a personal estimate that some of our vitriolic right wing extremists might make a go at him in the second term.

But that's a pretty good visual metaphor for how bizarre it is here in the US at the moment. I have a couple of relatives who live in a red state who have had all their "friends" and some relatives turn vicious on them because they support Obama. They're torn between wanting to stay near their grandkids and just leaving the state. Not an over-reaction, its that bad.