View Single Post
Old 2011-10-04, 23:47   Link #6898
zorahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Why do some people react to this rather violently? I actually would advise the same. You could start learning Japanese now and by the time Ryuukishi released another When They Cry game, you'd save yourselves the waiting time for translators to make the english patch (and you'd buy yourself an earlier ticket for discussing with fellow fans). It would also serve as a distraction while waiting for the last English patch of Umineko.

Really, when you gets down to it, learning Japanese isn't really that hard if you put your heart into it. I became quite proficient in about one year after starting my galge reading carreer (relying solely on galge to improve my Japanese), and I don't think I'm particularly adept at learning new languages or anything.

Although R07's works employ heavy thematic elements, I think he uses a rather straightforward and only moderately difficult Japanese (compared to, say, Kinoko Nasu or Shumon Yuu if you know who they are) so you don't really need to be native-like to enjoy it.

Besides, you really can't go wrong by increasing your language repository.
Define proficient. I doubt after one year you are what I would call proficient. Can you read a similar amount of kanji to a native speaker? Do you have no problems discussing a wide range of topics, reading books, or writing essays? Can you navigate your way in Japan by reading signs and such?

Japanese is not an easy language, and one year of study is not going to give you a meaningful grasp of the language.

Unless you can read and write (though write is not that important anymore with the advent of computers) the same amount of kanji as a native speaker, your Japanese ability is not "proficient" by any standard. As Klash said, reading Japanese with only kana is like getting a root canal with no painkillers. I was once tutoring a Japanese friend in English, and she had to write an essay. I told her to write down some of her thoughts for what she wanted to write about in Japanese first so we could discuss them. She wrote them almost all in Hiragana. I told her to come back later when she had learned her own language before she decided to study another one, because quite frankly I said "I can't read this"

People who advocate the removal of Kanji from Japanese and the writing of Japanese in either full-kana or romanized text have obviously never tried to read those texts. It's almost impossible to read kana or romaji text with any great degree of speed or accuracy, to the point where I refuse to read anything written that way. Basically, as long as the kanji are common enough that people can read and understand them, the more kanji you have the easier it is to read, until you get past that point and the kanji are too rare or obscure to be read. Granted though, some things which are considered hard to read really aren't, it's just people being stupid.

At any rate, I don't expect people to be able to write 薔薇 from memory or be able to count 鎧 with a proper counter (which by the way is 1領、2領 etc), but I DO expect anyone who claims they can speak Japanese well to at least be able to read and write proficiently.

Also, if it wasn't for the post WWII spelling reforms, kana would be much harder than it is today. Consider yourselves lucky. Kana orthography used to make little or no sense whatsoever. There's no difference in pronunciation of ゐる and いる, but they're different words and are spelt differently. Don't get me started on the usage of じ ぢ ず づ
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote