Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-30, 10:38   Link #21144
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Um, all TVs are HDTVs now.

Nobody makes CRTs anymore, and LCD TVs just don't go lower than 1280x720 resolution these days. Sure, you used to be able to find some 854x480 "EDTVs" (mostly by Sony) but they've all been discontinued now.

If there's an electronics store that has TVs for sale, they're mostly LCD (they might have a few plasma displays, but that's a bit rare these days) and all of them are at least 1280x720 resolution (most will probably be 1920x1080). And that's really all an HDTV is, a "high definition television" which is just a fancy way of saying "has at least 720 vertical pixels."
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Yeah I'm not sure if the sales person was clueless or just trying to fool costumers,or maybe endless soul missunderstood?

@ Endless Soul: movies that you watch on the big screen in the theatre are generally made at even higher resolutions than HD so the resolution has nothing to do with what you were experiencing.
What I think you experienced is something similar to what was described in the article, there's modern TVs now that can artificially increase framerates (just like the article talked about The hobbit being shot at twice the framerate of a usual movie) so one TV had that feature and you had the same reaction as the guy in the article.
It's a feature that's nice if you like playing videogames and watch sports but is completely useless if all you do is watch movies.
Sorry for the late response guys, it was a very busy weekend.

I admit I'm pretty new-TV illiterate. Mostly because I currently don't have a TV and haven't had one in about 4 year. My last one was CRT. All I can say is that both TVs were identical, and playing the exact same scene of Battle: Los Angeles, yet the one on the left looked "normal" and the one on the right was clearer/brighter, causing the effects to really stand out and look fake. It almost had a daytime soap look to it. It wasn't just me and my friend seeing this. The entire group that had gathered around (10+ people) were all pretty much saying the same thing.

Endless "TVless" Soul