Thread: Licensed Shokugeki no Soma [Manga]
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-14, 19:32   Link #526
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
From the off-set of the manga, even entering Tootsuki's high-school division isn't guaranteed for those who are rich & powerful, much less surviving the 3 years there. That, and since he was among the ones chosen to supervise this whole thing, one can naturally assume he's at the upper end of the graduating classes, instead of Tootsuki inviting back a weak-ass among the graduates.

I'd rather these 'gems' live up to their hype of being the best of the best, having graduated the harshness of Tootsuki and are actually a level above the most capable students.

To me, I feel it's pointless to introduce these kind of characters, with these kind of hype, only to be brought down by a student, even if he's the main character.
From what I've seen so far Tootsuki seems more like a Sith Academy

They don't really teach you anything. They just weed out those belong and those who don't

but just like the Sith Academy, there's actually a lot of luck and other factors involved. So the last person standing isn't necessarily the one who has say.. 99 points in every stats.

If he loses to the protagonist it doesn't mean the instructor is weak. It just means that the main character is even more of a special snowflake.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote