View Single Post
Old 2012-10-24, 23:05   Link #11
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPblueser View Post
Hayate no Gotoku as a whole changed a lot over time. The classic "happy-go-lucky" period, full of parodies and craziness ended a LONG time ago. You can't expect the series to be the same it was 3 or 5 years ago. Things changed. Comedy isn't the main thing anymore. You may or may not like that, but that's how it is. It has been like this ever since the driving plot behind the series was presented to the manga readers a few years ago.

And now, it's time for the anime fans to experience that transition.
I'm appreciating the vague symbolic things the third season is going for on some level, and Keiichiro Kawaguchi is still an active director, one of his shows is on this season, in fact. Plus, the wacky, reference-heavy comedy torch has been passed onto other things like Nyarko. But the first season is still very important to me, one of the series I saw when I was just starting out at this forum, one that defined what an anime comedy had the potential to be.

No mistake, I'm still going to ride this season out - Ruri's plot is holding my attention. But if someone asked what Hayate meant to me, I would point to the first season every time.