View Single Post
Old 2007-11-19, 21:56   Link #274
edf91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I don't think that it's quite as simple as that. The places where the AEU trails are: their elevator isn't completed yet (obviously, they're already trying their best to catch up), and their military isn't as strong as the other powers. Celestial Being's attack only serves to allow the AEU a free hand in building arms (for some reason, none of the other powers seem to operate under any sort of arms limitation treaty), but this is restricted by industrial and energy capabilities as well, so not much is going to change in the short term. In the long term, the AEU had already been clandestinely violating their part of an arms treaty - until the Gundams revealed what they were up to, so any imposition in that sense is due to Celestial Being to begin with.
It certainly seems to make the countries "united" and make CB the enemy. By making the PMC more "friendly" to AEU certainly doesn't seem to hurt AEU's effort, that's for sure. I guess what I am trying to say is that AEU is certainly in a better position overall then they started with before CB get involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'm still not sure what the opening narration is alluding to, but the power relationships in Gundam 00 don't resemble a zero-sum game at all. Essentially, a zero-sum game is one where every outcome adds up to zero. Hence if the AEU were to gain X rewards in a particular scenario, the aggregate rewards reaped by the HRL and the Union would have to add up to -X. If the AEU were to gain Y, and the Union were to gain Z, then the HRL would gain -(Y+Z). In the show, we can see the power blocs gaining and losing power, military strength, etc. without it affecting that of other powers.

The phrase "zero-sum game" doesn't really have anything to do with maintaining the status quo at all.
I agree that it doesn't really translate to Zero Sum Game, but the way I see it, now each of the three side seems to be doing something that will at least disrupt the status-quo that seems to be maintained for a while. No matter what happened to CB afterward, you can almost guarantee that the there major powers will be different than before CB ever get into the picture.
edf91 is offline   Reply With Quote