View Single Post
Old 2013-02-27, 14:33   Link #22
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Much of the conflict in many of the Gundam shows revolved around those who stayed on Earth being at odds with those who lived "in the stars" (i.e. who colonized other worlds and/or built vast artificial environments to live in within outer space).
I don't think that Gundam says an awful lot about space exploration to begin with, but didn't Gundam AGE just wrap up?

Quote:
There hasn't been as much of that in recent years. I think this reflects how colonizing outer space and "living in the stars" no longer captures the imagination of people as much as it used to.
You'd be more correct if you claimed that there are fewer space operas than there have been in the past, but space operas are not the same thing as space exploration shows. Shows like Space Brothers are, and it's currently airing.

Quote:
Really? I always thought that Super Sentai heroes, and big shounen shows like DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach, were the Japanese equivalent of superhero shows/comics. Goku being the anime/Japanese equivalent of Superman is a concept commonly held by fans of both anime and superhero comics.
They both fulfill a similar niche, but mecha anime are older. Do note that the Super Sentai shows are mecha shows as well.

Quote:
Which mecha shows are currently airing?
For OVAs, there's Code Geass Akito and Gundam Unicorn. For ongoing TV shows, there's Gyrozetter, Robotic;Notes and AKB0048. Really, you can include Vividred Operation as well. There's pretty much a mini-Renaissance going on for mecha anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's just depressing. What happened to the shows like Planetes, Starship Operators, Eve no Jikan, Noein, Dennou Coil? The simple answer is that discerning fans are more expensive to please, so the industry ignores us in favor of the more gullible, more easily amused "moe" fans.
They're still there, but the problem is that they don't sell particularly well. Right now, Space Brothers, Shinsekai Yori, Psycho-Pass and Robotics;Note have element of the shows you listed. Whether they're as good will be up to your tastes.