View Single Post
Old 2013-02-28, 01:36   Link #34
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I disagree. I think it is relevant to your argument. Part of your argument was that mecha is enjoying a mini-renaissance.

Sheer quantity of mecha shows doesn't achieve that alone, particularly when the quantity of anime shows in general is up in recent years, and particularly when some of the shows you listed are arguably not even mecha shows.

But even if you really have sheer quantity on your side, the fact that none of these shows is having a major Nisemonogatari/SAO-level impact means that the genre itself can't be that popular right now.

If something is enjoying a renaissance, then that means it's popular. It should be "trending", in Twitter-speak. I don't see mecha "trending" right now.
While I will agree with you that mecha is not very popular right now, however basing a trend of entire genre base on show is flawed. I do think quantity matters more in judging popularity of a genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So you don't think there's any chance that Gundam Age flopped, at least in part, because interest in mecha is dwindling amongst the hardcore anime fanbase in Japan?

If nothing else, Gundam Age's lack of success may well signify that the current kid generation in Japan is not interested in mecha.
Only watched about 3 episodes of Age so far, so I can't judge. But I do believe that Unicorn is doing well in Japan so far, so there might be some merit on Age just being a bad show.