View Single Post
Old 2006-07-25, 00:48   Link #35
shidoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtetsuo
Please note: the Quicktime player is worthless. All it can play are .avi files. The Quicktime player won't play most .mp4 files and doesn't recognize .mkv files. Also Apple removed fullscreen playback from the player, so there's really no reason at all to use it.
I hate having this be my first post here (I'm nowhere near new to the site, but am new to posting here), but I take issue with this comment. If we're talking about QuickTime + subtitles, yes, there's just no good solution out there currently (or on the horizon.)

That out of the way, I'm not sure at all what you mean by "won't play most .mp4 files." I've YET to run into an .mp4 file (that was properly put together) that QuickTime won't play on my system. I'd love to see a file that you can't get QT to play, so I could try it out for myself. On my system (G5 iMac), QuickTime will play just fine MOV / MPEG1 / MPEG2 / MPEG4 / H.264 / Divx / Xvid / 3ivx / Windows Media (well, not all, but Flip4Mac does its best) and I'm sure a few others that I'm forgetting. As long as you spend a few minutes getting the proper plug-ins, QuickTime will play a lot, and there is a LOT of benefit due to so many other applications using QuickTime for playback (FrontRow being the top example.)

Also, Apple in no way, shape, or form removed fullscreen playback - that's just wrong. You have to have QuickTime Pro to have fullscreen playback, but it's there, and if you aren't willing to pay the money for QT Pro, there are countless free apps or Applescripts that will do it if you don't want to go the sneaky serial route.

I use QuickTime for pretty much everything except VOB files and videos that have soft subs, and it works great. (I currently don't really mess around with .mkv stuff.) It also tends to, in my opinion, decode h.264 far better than either MPlayer or VLC on Mac OSX.