View Single Post
Old 2006-07-25, 14:50   Link #37
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by shidoshi
That out of the way, I'm not sure at all what you mean by "won't play most .mp4 files." I've YET to run into an .mp4 file (that was properly put together) that QuickTime won't play on my system. I'd love to see a file that you can't get QT to play, so I could try it out for myself. On my system (G5 iMac), QuickTime will play just fine MOV / MPEG1 / MPEG2 / MPEG4 / H.264 / Divx / Xvid / 3ivx / Windows Media (well, not all, but Flip4Mac does its best) and I'm sure a few others that I'm forgetting. As long as you spend a few minutes getting the proper plug-ins, QuickTime will play a lot, and there is a LOT of benefit due to so many other applications using QuickTime for playback (FrontRow being the top example.)
[...]
It also tends to, in my opinion, decode h.264 far better than either MPlayer or VLC on Mac OSX.
Would you please test playing the following three files with QT and report back on the results? I'd be most interested in the results. Apart from playback itself, I'd also be interested how QT performs performance-wise compared to MPlayer or VLC on each of these files (if they play back at all).

File A
File B
File C

I can assure you that they contain a standard compliant H.264 bitstream within a compliant container.

Last edited by Jekyll; 2006-07-25 at 15:14.