View Single Post
Old 2008-06-23, 04:55   Link #256
petran79
out of touch with anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinyblade View Post
In an earlier post in this topic, I had posted the Top 10 Ratings ever scored by animated shows, dating back to the late 1970's. On that list, the top one is the first Chibi Maruko-chan series, with a rating of 39.9% in 1990, just beating Sazae-san by a little.

Not sure what the record is, though I thought I read somewhere that the first Astro Boy series in the 1960's scored a 40% rating one time.

Problem is that back then in the 60s and 70s the number of televisions and phones was more limited and so many adults and kids visited friends or relatives to watch their favourite show. Which means that 40 % back then, could actually mean 70-80 % in today's standards. So Dog of Flanders, though with a slight margin, may be the first in popularity. Also Battleship Yamato had to be cancelled because Heidi had more TV ratings. So a similar situation existed back then too.

Add also the limited number of TV channels so you had not many alternatives, even though the few you had were good. Even so, the less TV channels, the more time you have to do something better.

I think the popular shows back then must have been around that rating. Many of them were innovative for their time (and some still are).

Also in other countries where anime series were exported or co-produced, the shows reached similar ratings. (Eg shows like Heidi and Mazinger in Spain or the success of shows like Candy worldwide). Also had to do with the fact that there were only 2-3 TV channels and VHS was unknown.

Whereas now with so many shows and channels, such ratings are impossible to reach. Not even events like Wold Cup finals or music contests reach such ratings. If anime today is more popular it is also more fragmented.

Stll if you dont have any idea about anime, it is better at least to know it through the older series, rather than Pokemon.
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote