View Single Post
Old 2013-02-11, 22:39   Link #17
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
You lost me at the part where you started tossing out random TV Tropes vocabulary in a desperate attempt to justify Total Eclipse's plot direction.
Hardly desperate, merely that I'd rather not reinvent the wheel when there's another source I can rely on, which I link to. Doesn't detract from the fact that what I linked to applies to Yui.

Unless TV Tropes terrifies you somehow? In which case, I apologize - I had no idea it was so offensive.

Quote:
So it's a backdrop that adds absolute nothing and is completely unrelated to what the show turns out to be about.

Yes, that's the problem.
Macross Plus had the same problem, Bryan Cranston notwithstanding. ;D I'd argue the same applies as well for Top Gun. And hey, Saving Private Ryan - starts out with Omaha Beach... rapidly turns into a smaller scale story to find one paratrooper.

Quote:
And if I wanted to watch a legit WWII R&D documentary, I would expect it to open in a way that introduces what the documentary is about. If opened telling you in every conceivable way you were about to watch a brutal, in-your-face reenactment of day to day trench warfare and THEN became a R&D documentary in a deliberate "GOTCHA!" move, that would incredibly stupid.
And now you're changing the goalposts. This isn't a dry documentary I'm talking about, I'm talking about a dramatisation. Like that telemovie miniseries about the Avro Arrow. And again, you're strawmanning.

It's a deliberate choice, chosen by the anime team for specific reasons.

And it amuses me that you're railing on the anime and production team for what you perceive as faults, but don't extend to them the same pass you expect with your own writing. I believe there's a saying about logs in one's eye and dust in another's.

Thank you for providing me with laughs as usual, Hagoshod. XD 8D I'll accept that in lieu of Chinese New Year ang pow packets.

As an aside, why aren't you on Spacebattles yet? Talking with you always gives me a deja vu feeling of those boards.

I believe in miracles.