View Single Post
Old 2011-01-12, 03:12   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 610 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Happy new year, folks! Turns out that Oda's not on break after all! And seeing as I discovered the spoiler summary, I figured I'd finally get off my duff and make the first new chapter thread of 2011 (as usual, credit goes to aohige for translation):

-Chapter title is "Fortune Teller Madame Shirley". Splash page features Vivi (post-skip version of her too, apparently).

-Luffy and co. go to the Ryugu Palace Coral Hill, and manage to save Sanji's life. However, the pirates who donated blood to him turn out to be twin Okama mermaids named Splash and Splatter (I think you can guess Sanji's reaction to his saviors ). It also turns out that Luffy got poisoned during his skirmish with Hammond, but he is now more resistant to poison thanks to his encounter with Magellan. Luffy also notes that a swordsman amongst Hammond's crew was strong enough to block his strike.....

-Meanwhile, Hyozou, the aforementioned octo-swordsman, is carrying Hammond and the other KO-ed fish-pirates. It turns out that he was the one who poisoned Luffy, though accidentally. While he contemplates his blunder, a mermaid's scream is heard. It turns out that Camie's friends had freed Caribou from the barrel, and one of them, Ishley, was kidnapped.....

-At the mermaid cafe, we're introduced to Madame Shirley, a mermaid fortuneteller. She foresaw many events such as Whitebeard's death and the war. It turns out that Brooke and Pappag reached the cafe before Luffy's group did. Meanwhile, we find out that captain Van der Dekken is of the ninth generation of his family. Even more interesting is that Merman Island is currently under the protection of the Yonkou Big Mom (whose real name is Charlotte Ling-Ling). However, her services do not come for free, as she demands payment in the form of candy from the island's sweets factory, it would seem....

-When Luffy leaves the cafe, Madame Shirley receives a most ominous fortune: That Merman Island will be destroyed by the rookie's own hands......

Well now, things are starting to get most interesting now, isn't it? We're introduced to our first powerful new enemy of the arc (I guess Hyozou is the strongest swordsman that Hachi mentioned, then), we finally learn more about Van der Dekken, and we even get some Big Mom info (my, my, it truly is a treat to learn her real name)! Heh, looks like she's got quite a sweet tooth......

As for the whole Luffy destroying MI thing goes, I'm guessing that it's just a misunderstanding on the mer-seer's part. After all, I still kinda feel that Luffy will become the next protector of the underwater island, even if another emperor has decided to take Whitebeard's place......

Well, the full chapter should be out soon, methinks!

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-01-12 at 03:55.