View Single Post
Old 2012-10-05, 17:41   Link #30
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Gah, I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to vote 4/10. I really bit the big one and voted on impulse this time without thinking. This is me apologizing now since I can't really rectify this.

To be more honest, I'd give it about a 6/10. Not bad, not great. Everything felt really grim compared to the original series, but since it's supposed to be a standalone aside, I'm scoring based on how everything flowed together.

First, the positives. Really liked the little nod to the first season with Hayate flying in on the bicycle. Liked how much more detailed the backgrounds and such looked. Really, really liked the detail that went into the ending sequence.

Now the negatives. I can sum it all up under one statement: this series feels like it's confused. The plot and atmosphere wishes to separate entirely from its original counterpart, but with scenes like the snowball scene at the beginning and the car chase, it can't seem to let go. As such, it really diminishes itself as a standalone title, and it subsequently makes me wish I was just watching the original scenes again, where the comedic nature fit the concept so much better for those certain moments.

Not a fan of how the characters look compared to the original series, but as mentioned this is a standalone so I won't factor that into anything.

So as I said, my actual score's 6/10. Confused at the moment, but has potential. I don't have enough to go on at the moment to give it a fair rating, after all.