View Single Post
Old 2006-09-18, 11:43   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
1) Sharpreader (Free) (Semi-active dev) (Secure) (Seems to be the preference of a few majors Developers too.)
Yaay... that's exactly what I wanted
Simple... and I don't have to do a thing...
Thanks bayoab...
*reps bayoab*

I'll add the other 2 as alternatives...
Quote:
I have a few feeds that I want to keep backups of and thus have 10000+ items. Feeddemon chokes HEAVILY on these. For things under 1000 or so, it works fine though.
10000+ items ... cool

Quote:
Free does NOT mean better.
I would like to second this motion...
I personally don't use OO.o... I'm very happy with MsO
However while FREE does not mean better... FREE is very important to most people... Even I like free stuff ... It's Perfection Vs. Money...

Quote:
The same way that Open Source does not mean better.
As far as I'm consern Open Source means the program is free and has some prospects for good development...
The list isn't created by what I want... It just lists some of the information people might be intrested in.

Quote:
Alternative, yes. Superior, no. Openoffice is one of the WORST hackjobs for a programs that I have seen. The fact it is free does not make it a better program. There are many many quirks, issues, and bugs that appear with this program. (Most that I have experienced are on the issue of formatting where what you see onscreen is not what prints out.) Yes, for the basic person who just needs to type up a document, it is fine and does what it is supposed to do. But anything neededing more than that becomes a hassle and can be done in 1/2 the time on MS word. (Note: Not a MS fanboy, I hate word (and wordperfect) too.) Its security is also questionable and its cross compatibility borders on none sometimes. (I have made a document on one system only to have it open differently on another.)
OO.o is the alternative that offers the most... it's still under development... and it's FREE... so it's got backing to be there...
I intend to add MsO (it's what I always use)... but like Photoshop I want to make sure I add all the info as best as I can... so it's going to take me a while... (it's hard to summarize it's functionality... and it's big...)
It's hard to summarize because I want to have a nice clean list with 4 lines (max) of description... of course it's impossible for these types of programs... but I try my best

Quote:
Security is not a function of number of unpatched vulnerabilities. Firefox has patched most of their vulnerabilities and they are not a problem if you have updated. Also, note that Opera has had its share of vulnerabilites too. Opera is currently under pre-mozilla-netscape syndrome. It's internet footprint is still too small for it to be gutted.
Yes "0 unpached vulnabilities" might be inappropriate *removes*. I still see noting that says that Opera is insecure... I'll leave the title...

What do you mean by "pre-mozilla-netscape syndrome".

Quote:
You also forgot to mention Mozilla Suite which has only 1/2 the vulns that are in Firefox (not based on the 1.5 code), is far more stable and reliable and its successor Mozilla Seamonkey which has the other 1/2 (based on the 1.5+ code).
I want to keep the list friendly and useful ... so I think it's best to list only 2 programs for every purpose (one paid& one free; one fast& one secure; one resource hog& one efficient... etc)

Quote:
Anti-virus: They all are basically the same amount of suck somewhere. The best three (IMTSO) (plus one) are basically:
AVG: It's free, it works, decent detection rates.
Kaspersky: You have to pay for this one but it has the highest wild detection rate I saw. On the few systems that I saw it, it was pretty small memory wise.
F-secure I am going to recommend this one based on a handful of experiences and based on what they are producing. Its pay, but the few systems I saw it on, it had a pretty low memory footprint, was decently fast, and got most things. The thing is, they are the ones with new heurestics and rootkit detection in their latest version which sounds like it will increase their wild detection rates by a lot.
+1: If you happen to go to a school that has Norton Corporate, that is one of the best engines out there but the detection rates can be sucky.
Hmm... maybe I should add Kaspersky and AVG (the free alternative).
Now that I think about it... I don't think there's any other free alternative then AVG.

I know I saw a thread about antivirus programs here somewhere... maybe I can put that to some use... hopefully xris didn't wack it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
Are you a musician? Do you want to make music with MIDI programs? Or do you want bits and pieces of other music and other sound samples and make collage... like remix DJs?

For the former, use MIDI sequencer of some kind. Cakewalk comes out as the first pick program for me. It also has options to add wav audio to add any sound of your choice. It's been several years since I've touched any MIDI sequencers though. For the latter, check out Audacity (free) or CoolEdit (expensive).
Thanks
No I'm not a musician... I just want to make little ambient music from bits and pieces. I heard this type before and I feel it's good enough (actually some were really good) I know they used some program to make them... I just wanted to give it a try and didn't want to start off on the wrong foot....
The .au audio format is the one you can place on webpages. (I hope I didn't mess this up)
Then again you can use gifs for favicons now so I guess it might be a similar story for site background music
Oh well... thanks again for the help... *rep++*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyf
IRC - I've made my switch from mIRC to x-chat, and I've been very happy with it. The official version of x-chat for windows is a shareware. Because the source is still available for free under the GPL, there are other free versions available, such as the one by Silverex. It does have its own quirks that may bother some people. It does miss some features that mIRC supports (such as custom background images per window, etc). And not all configurable options are present in the preferences dialogue, so you need to configure them using /set command. Even with these drawbacks, I still like it better than mIRC.
Hmm... sounds good... I'll look into it before I add anything...