Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-13, 09:29   Link #26479
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
For me, Athletics is all about putting the emphasis on the human body. In autodriving it's not really about the Human body, but about how well the Human can manipulate a machine (albeit in harsh conditions). In shooting it's how well a Human can manipulate another machine (albeit at obscenely high accuracy), but in both cases the power is originating in the Machine, not the Human body. In every other Olympic sport, the power that drives the movement originates entirely in the Human body, and that's why I don't think either fit in the Olympics. The same goes for the Equestrian events as well.
I don't think people really have problems with your idea of what should or shouldn't be in the Olympics, which frankly has been changed rather arbitrarily over the years. The issue is when you started to put down other sports in the process, at least that's how it came across to me.

Quote:
Shooting is hard, I won't deny it, but when I watch Shooting it feels more like the Gun is what has the power and agency, even though the Guns are all of standardised designs.
Then I'd say you're looking at it from the wrong angle. If it was about how much damage you can do to the target, then sure, but that's no the point of the competition - it's all about seeing if the shooter has the ability to accurately put the round on the target.

In many ways it's quite similar to archery, neither are really in-your-face about sheer physical power, but rather concentrate on the physical finesse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
Well I would think that what makes ROKMC unique is that they effectively operate as distinct arm of ROK armed forces, instead as part of navy. Indonesian Marine Corps is still under The Navy.
Same thing for the USMC, which is both designated AND operates as its own branch of service.

Last edited by kyp275; 2013-02-13 at 09:40.