View Single Post
Old 2007-04-06, 23:49   Link #77
HunterRequiem
Resident cynic

Send a message via AIM to HunterRequiem
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It doesn't seem to be very realistic, but the underlying assumption behind all humanoid mecha is that they are extremely highly automated. A simple input is thus supposed to translate to complicated actions.
I once tried to work out a standard cockpit layout for a humanoid vehicle. I think I managed to get somthing like 20 movement commands out of a complex pair of joysticks and pedals, but I still was unable to lock down enough arm movements, and had to asume most leg movements were automated. This was for just a simple, Mobile Suit style mech that couldn't jump or shift its weight. Think about the number of commands needed to pilot the Guren or the Lancelot.

Quote:
Tanks, in particular are devastating against lighter armor. The US Army constantly runs wargames to test their combat theories. In a recent simulation, a pair of M1 Abrams with some infantry support held up an entire Stryker Brigade, destroying 25 of them in the process. I believe that a similar result can be expected if the Strykers were replaced with Knightmare Frames.
That said, a unit of light combined arms can hold off an attacker for a long time if they have space to their back. I spoke to a retired US Army Lt. Colonel the other day who commanded "Soviet" forces in the Mojave desert where the army trained its upper officers. In the excercise, US forces always loose, the test is to see how long one can hold out. He recalled one such excersise when the US commander lasted for a whole day (most battles were over in a few hours) because he never committed, and caused the Soviet forces heavy casualties.

To pit a striker brigade against a few M1A2s is sort of pointless, considering light troops were never intended to rush a choke point held by heavy armor. By definition, thats the worst thing one could do with their light troops.
HunterRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote