Thread: Narcos
View Single Post
Old 2015-10-04, 09:21   Link #1
oompa loompa

Narcos

Surprised I haven't seen a thread about this show, I think it's a winner.

' Imagine you were born in a poor family, in a poor country. And by the time you were 28 years old you had so much money you can't even count it. '

It's about the one and only Pablo Escobar, one of the most notorious drug lords who ever lived.

IMDB : 9.1/10, 35,647 votes

I'd like this thread to be primarily about the show, but also about the parts that have been exaggerated or entirely left out from his life. It's also a good place to discuss the the ongoing war on drugs, the current situation in Colombia in particular, and last, but not least, South American accents . I thought that these various topics of discussion merited a separate thread, which is why I haven't simply written a review.

So let me begin with my take on the show, and Pablos story:

Although the narration is obviously and deliberately biased, I think they do well to portray Pablo as more than just a villain. As for the actual story, I find it obviously horrifying, but also perversely inspirational. Coming from a relatively modest background and country myself, I know I've asked myself 'How dirty would I get my hands to make that much money? Pretty fucking dirty if it would work' . I would also like to point out that I know ( I really do ) the show paints Colombia in an extremely bad light, particularly after watching Slumdog Millionaire as an Indian dude. However, since the story is essentially told from the DEA agents point of view, it's important to remember that the show is deliberately biased.

Secondly, I would really like to hear the opinion of some South Americans who watched the show. Is Wagner Mouras Colombian accent really that awful? I thought he acted well, but I've heard to native speakers it sounds downright awful.

Thoughts guys?

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2015-10-04 at 09:35.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote